The TDI/SDI Assistant Instructor course with NANAIMO DIVE OUTFITTERS
At NANAIMO DIVE OUTFITTERS, as a TDI/SDI Assistant Instructor, you not only gain additional experience as a PADI Professional scuba diver, but you also start learning the SDI System of diver education. You can act as an instructional scuba assistant and assume limited teaching responsibilities. It’s a great way to gain experience in order to become a scuba instructor!
The SDI Assistant Instructor course is the first portion of the SDI Instructor Development Course (IDC) and when followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor course (OWSI) and successful performance at the Instructor Examination (IE), leads to certification as a NANAIMO DIVE OUTFITTERS SDI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
The Fun Part
Get mentored while gaining hands-on experience teaching students.
What You Learn
You build upon your abilities to organise and supervise scuba diving activities, while concentrating on developing teaching skills. You learn through:
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
The PADI Assistant Instructor Course consists of these sections:
- Module 1: Academic Training
- SDI Discover Scuba Diving and Snorkeling Programs
- Developing Knowledge Development Presentations
- Advanced Performance Buoyancy Specialties
- Teaching in Confined Water
- Conducting Open Water Training Presentations
- Module 2: Independent Study
- Module 3: Practical Application
- Confined Water and Open Water Teaching Presentations
- Standards Exam
- Dive Rescue Skills Assessment
What You Can Teach
In addition to the responsibilities and duties you already have as a SDI Divemaster, as a SDI Assistant Instructor you can:
- Teach academic presentations under the indirect supervision of a SDI Instructor
- During confined water dives, present initial skills training under the direct supervision of a SDI Instructor
- Evaluate Open Water Diver surface skills under the indirect supervision of a SDI Instructor
- Teach and certify SDI Advanced Buoyancy Specialty Divers under the direction of a SDI Instructor
- Teach SDI SCUBAibilty Courses
- Teach SDI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty courses under the direction of a SDI Instructor after earning the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating
At a glance, compare what you can teach when you continue your professional diver education.
The Scuba Gear You Use
You use all the basic scuba equipment and some scuba accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc.
It is highly recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills.
The Learning Materials You Need
The SDI Crewpak includes all the materials needed to prepare for a SDI Assistant Instructor or Open Water Scuba Instructor course. The pack includes:
- Instructor cue cards for SDI’s core courses (OW, AOW, Rescue and Divemaster)
- IDC Candidate Workbook and related reference materials,
- Lesson planning slates for confined and open water
- Quiz and exam booklets for the core courses
- SDI Instructor Manual.
- SDI dry backpack bag to store equipment/training materials
For all your learning materials and equipment, contact NANAIMO DIVE OUTFITTERS.
- Be a Divemaster or qualifying certification from another certification organization
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have 60 logged dives, including night, deep, and navigation dives
- Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
- Have CPR and First Aid Training within the last 24 months
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months
- Want a fun and exciting career!
Your Next Adventure
Take the full Instructor Development Course with NANAIMO DIVE OUTFITTERS to become a SDI Open Water Scuba Instructor so you can teach and certify PADI Open Water Divers.
For more information about this or other PADI courses have a chat with one of the NANAIMO DIVE OUTFITTERS Team members.